In 2021, Population Action International (PAI) launched UHC Engage, a multiyear, evidence-based advocacy project that supports SRHR champions in countries where governments are introducing UHC-oriented reforms, including Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Kenya, Uganda and Zambia. PAI is working with civil society partners to prioritize SRHR within emerging UHC policies and share learnings from these local FP advocacy efforts to inform the global UHC conversation.
Family Planning in Kenya
Under this project and with support from PAI, Access to Medicines Platform implemented the following interventions:
- Analyzing the Kenya family planning commodities financing, supply chain and procurement. In 2021, we conducted a study that was validated by key Family Planning players both at national and county level and widely disseminated as a tool to support prioritization of FP Commodities supply, improve quantification and strengthen implementation of FP Costed Implementation Plans.
- Supported community education and sensitization activities to commemorate the World Contraceptive Day celebrations in Kakamega County.
- Undertook an analysis of the level of implementation of Family Planning Costed Implementation Plan in Bungoma and Siaya counties while analyzing 3 other counties and providing recommendations of actions that need to be done to ensure their full implementation as a tool of ensuring adequate domestic resource mobilization for FPCs.
- Supported the dissemination to the sub-county teams and CSO partners as well as the launch of the Kakamega County 2nd edition FP CIP 2020-2025.
- Supported the development of Kisumu Family Health Costed Operation Plan Framework anchored on strategic planning blue print to provide a road map of programs and projects that will enhance growth and performance of the department Health System in the realization of its strategic mandate in the next five years and as provided for in the KCHSSIP 2015 – 2023 & CIDP of projects and programs which would enhance growth and performance of the department of health system in the next five years.
- Supported the revamping of Family Planning(FP) Technical Working Group(TWG) meetings in Kisumu and Kakamega Counties.